Who to Notify Following a Death

When you are dealing with the affairs of someone who has died it is advisable that you notify various organisations.  We hope this list is helpful to you in deciding who needs to be informed.

  • Contact the deceased’s solicitor regarding the Will. It is important to ascertain the contents of the Will as it may contain instructions regarding the funeral arrangements
  • Contact the deceased’s employer or professional association, as well as the Inland Revenue
  • Inform Local Government; to cancel housing/tax benefits/Social Services etc.
  • Social Security: cancel any direct payments into Bank accounts etc.
  • Contact Banks/Building Societies/credit card companies etc. (joint accounts require change of name.)
  • Car Insurance: you are not legally insured to drive if the Policy is in the deceased’s name
  • DVLA to return driving licence, cancel or return car tax, change car registration documents
  • Contact pension providers, investment and life insurance companies, and mortgage providers
  • Premium Bonds are not transferable; the Post Office will provide you with a form to submit to the Bonds and Stock Office
  • Inform utility companies if accounts are held in the deceased’s name and TV/internet companies
  • Redirect post via the Royal Mail (a small charge is made for this service)
  • Return Passport to the UK Identity and Passport Service
  • Notify clubs, trade unions, associations, seasonal memberships for cancellation and possible refunds
  • If the property is unoccupied: check it is secure and in cold weather, leave some form of heating on to prevent burst pipes. It might also be advisable to let a neighbour have a key to remove any build up of freepost.
  • If there is no Will, you may wish to apply to the Probate Registry for Letters of Administration – you can do this yourself or appoint a Solicitor to help you.

Tell us once

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.